In The Garage: Joyce Manor Share The Scenes And Stories Behind Million Dollars To Kill Me

August 28, 2018

This January, they’re co-headlining the 3,700-cap Hollywood Palladium with Jeff Rosenstock, who they consider a fellow “last man standing” in their scene and the man responsible for Joyce Manor’s first paid gig in 2010. “As we were leaving, he asked ‘You guys get paid?'” Johnson recalls. “We’re like, it’s cool, we’re from around here, it’s fine. And he’s like no, no, no,” handing the band $100 out of his pocket.

Great profile in general, but this moment between two of my favorite bands stuck with me. Amazing to see Rosenstock give them what I'd imagine to be a non-trivial amount of money at the time just because he feels strongly that people should be compensated for their work. And I love that this impulsive moment also sticks with Joyce Manor eight years later as co-headliners. While I've never just handed someone $100, I can only hope that back in my improv days or now in the open source community I've had some small moments that have stuck with folks.


July 26, 2018

Current status: enjoying the beach.


The Design Tool Dilemma - freeCodeCamp

July 19, 2018

Found this article especially relevant as I'm currently following just behind our UX team prototyping in code as they design early mockups using InVision. The spirit of what we're doing is aiming for the "collaborative" narrative outlined in this post, but the fact that there is still a handoff occasionally makes it feel like what the article calls “bridging the gap.” It is very early days, but I'm anxious for a future where more of our tools can speak the same language and actually impact code that will be used in the final project. Still a long way to go on that front though.

I found this embedded quote to be especially insightful:

Production code is a surrogate for decision-making power. Production code is the source of truth. It is the realtime sum total of all the conversations, all the decisions, all the politics…it is everything. Whoever is pushing code to production is running the product. Everyone else only has influence. Rebekah Cox

I don't necessarily want all of that power. In a perfect world, I help enable others to assert control on the areas of the project where they are experts. With our current tools there is just too much risk of things being lost in translation. Today we're doing the best we can with the tools we have and against all odds we often find a way to make it work.


How Did This Get Made - Rad Live

July 14, 2018

Back in June I got a chance to see a taping of How Did This Get Made, which is one of my all time favorite podcasts. I was coming home from Texas that day and just barely made it to the show in time because my flight was delayed. Thankfully all of the travel stress was worth it - seeing the show live was amazing, and our 80's BMX Bike movie Rad was the best kind of bad movie.

They released the live show as a podcast episode a few weeks back, and it is well worth the listen.


July 11, 2018

In June I had the chance to see two dates of the Be More Kind tour with Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls. Both shows had completely different and amazing sets of openers.

June 23, 2018 - Aragon Ballroom (Chicago)

  • The Menzingers - Happy to finally get a chance to see these guys live after listening to them since Chamberlain Waits. Had the whole place singing along, even as openers.
  • Lucero - I've seen Lucero before, so I knew they put on a great show and have been on the road long enough to have zero fucks left to give. Even knowing that, I was shocked that they came out and played their entire unreleased new album front to back. The new album sounds great, but would have been nice to hear a song or two I knew.
  • Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls - a surprisingly well oiled machine live. The stuff off of his new album Be More Kind sounded great live.

June 27, 2018 - Royale (Boston)

  • Restorations - Double dipped on this tour via stubhub for a chance to see this band, and they put on a fantastic opening set. Can't recommend them enough.
  • Jeff Rosenstock - since this was a one off gig he played the set acoustic (a little over half solo, the rest with some local friends backing him) which isn't necessarily the ideal way to see one of my favorite punk acts. That said, the songs still hold up. Was also cool to see Laura Stevenson filling in with him.

I had to bail before Frank Turner in Boston because I had to get prepped for a presentation the next day, but I'm sure it was great.